Teaching Children Mathematics
Can We Really Count on Frank? By: Jennifer Marston, Tracey Muir, and Sharyn Livy
This first article was about incorporating literature and picture books into mathematics. The article identifies three different types of mathematical picture books, those with perceived content, those with explicit content, and those with embedded content. Books that fall into these three types are then assessed pre-assessed by framework that has been set in place to help guide teachers. This framework consists of seven different categories. The article then goes on to talk about how to use the framework through the book, One is a Snail, Ten is a Crab, Then talked similarly about components in the story, Counting on Frank. Importance of accurate math portrayed in stories is also a important factor in book selection. As a teacher it is crucial that students are not developing misconceptions about mathematics based on the materials we are selecting.
I liked the overall idea of using picture books in mathematics. Using literature to teach concrete ideas can be a very valuable tool, especially, when working with younger students, the article left me wanting something more however. It began to feel a little repetitive after a while and I would of liked to hear more about how the stories were actually incorporated and a bit less about the framework. I also often felt like this article did not follow one cohesive thought. One idea would start to be developed and explained then something else would come up so that would be explained. I enjoyed the use of student work in the article as well in regards to the first book. I think this demonstrated the potential to not only use this particular story for teaching mathematics, but also the potential for many other picture books.
Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School
Using Aviation to Change Math Attitudes, By: Jerra Woods
This article, discussed the implications of using high-intensity, interactive, flight simulations, and aviation to help teach mathematics. It begins by talking about careers in aerospace and the lack of qualified professionals in this field currently, leading to increased need for individuals in this field. Aerospace inside the classroom offers teachers the chance to add real life applications to their curriculum in a fun, new, and engaging way. The article explained how this program introduced several lesson plans to students at the middle school age level. These lesson plans included the use of reading linear graphs and their equations, how to copilot an airplane through simulation, reading flight instruments, graphing, data gathering, and processing. At the end the article gives resources to teachers about how they can incorporate aerospace and aviation into their lesson plans, where to get different ideas, and how to gain access to simulation technology.
I really enjoyed this article and I thought it gave a cool new way to teach linear graphing and formulas. As a teacher, I think I may find a way to incorporate a lesson or two of this nature but I do not think I could maintain a unit or program of such extensive detail. I think although the activity is of high-interest it is not high-interest to every student and many students may have a hard time connecting it to their own life. Overall though, I thought it was a really cool idea and I think the idea of using simulations, not just for flight, in the classroom has potential to be highly valuable. I also thought this article was great for giving teachers so many resources and options to adapt this idea into their own classroom.
Thanks Rachel:)
ReplyDelete